Ground Control to Major Linas

The Apartment + Arunas

Arunas Janeliunas, Internet Projects Manager at Verslo Žinios
Waiting for me around the corner is the man who will be my manager for the next three months. Arunas Janeliunas.

We shake hands, exchange some pleasantries, and I follow him into the entrance lobby of the apartment building. The building is new, and the reception desk looks more like something from a luxury hotel than a building in a former Soviet country...a preconception I was unaware I had.

The "Homeplug"

My living room in Vilnius
The building is modern, and Arunas takes the time to show me the little idiosyncrasies of my new place, the key must be turned a certain way, the stove has a manual, and most noticeable to me...the internet is running from a device connected solely through the  electrical outlet. The "Homeplug"—my new arch-nemesis.

We test the device by plugging a computer into it and seeing if it will connect to the internet. It does not. After exhausting every trick we can think of we are forced to see the owner of the building to find out why the homeplug is insisting on having a self-assigned IP address and no internet connection.

The building
We find the owner in his office and he accompanies up to the apartment and the offending device. He is also a font of information on the workings of the new apartment building, one he is obviously very proud of. When we arrive at my apartment door the owner shows me the, in my opinion, overly secure, massive deadbolt on my door. "Vilnius is a very safe city, but you should still lock your door" he needlessly instructs me, as if i were planning to leave the only belongings i have in the world right now in any kind of vulnerable situation. But he tells us about some other Americans that were staying there recently who continually left their door not only unlocked, but wide open throughout the day. I promise him i will do no such thing in an attempt to get him inside the door and onto the problem of the internet connection.

The owner insists that there couldn't possibly be any issues with the homeplug device, "I have one in my own place" he says, as if that mere fact should be enough of a testimonial to make us second guess our own experience. However, once he plugs his own computer into it he is immediately faced with the same problem we were.

The Cab Driver's Return

While we are all bent over the computer, back-seat-driving the owners troubleshooting, my cab driver from the airport suddenly appears in the doorway. "Your card", he exclaims as he proffers the credit card I had unsuccessfully tried to use to pay him. "Holy crap, thank you!" I respond without thinking, Iam even so grateful I grab the cab driver and hug him.

"See! Very safe city" the owner exclaims as the cab driver heads back downstairs, although both the owner and Arunas are obviously shocked by this seemingly altruistic act by none other than a dastardly Russian. I am not.

The excitement over, the owner leaves with the offending homeplug and a promise to return it, fixed, the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment